Jan 30, 2010

copycat films... why?

I do not pretend to be a good film critic. I have very vague criteria for what constitutes a "good" film in my mind. Something I like about one film may be what I hate about another. Consistency does not have a ticket on this train. That being said,

"Crazy Heart"... I really like Jeff Bridges as an actor. I think he's one of the best there is. I can think of many films he's been in that rank near the top of my favorites. However, "Crazy Heart" - with an excellent portrayal by Jeff of a country musician on the downhill side of his career - is a poor attempt at copying the successful story format of Darren Aronofsky's "The Wrestler" starring (another favorite actor of mine) Mickey Rourke. The storyline similarities are numerous and transparent... the personal struggle with substance abuse, the "long lost" kid from a failed relationship back in the heyday, the frail relationship with a woman with a kid... etc., etc., etc.

Hmm, down on his luck former "star" has trouble with fading fame and substance abuse, finds possible redemption and opportunity for another chance at love, lets self-destructive habits ruin any progress, hits bottom or something like it, starts the long road to sobriety (conveniently depicted via short montage or slow fade with "blank months/years later" graphic), realizes that happiness and success come in very small doses, learns to accept mediocrity, lights another smoke and heads toward the sun - with or without the girl - usually without. Audience leaves feeling good about themselves and their lives because at least they are not "him"...

While the Aronofsky film used silence, nuance and atmosphere to great effect, the Scott Cooper rip off - "Crazy Heart" just tossed in some bland stereotypical ingredients and stirred until a froth appeared. Then promptly sprinkled some bankable names on top. Adding the great actor Robert Duvall to a film does not guarantee quality (think "Gone in 60 Seconds"...). Maggie Gyllenhaal as the Marisa Tomei character helps a little (who doesn't like Maggie when she's cast right? - Secretary, SherryBaby, and many more), but not enough. And briefly tipping the hat to some great songwriters like Townes Van Zandt doesn't make it all better either.
(Don't get me started about the use of music in film and how that has become superficial and meaningless...) I suppose I could have made the same point about this film by just saying "I liked it better when it was called "The Wrestler", but that wouldn't be as much fun now would it?

Maybe I'll soon share my lists... my lists of films - good and bad - and why I feel one way or another about certain films.

I will leave with this: My top three, no, five films:

Quest for Fire, Citizen Kane, Cinema Paradiso, She's Gotta Have It, Wizards.

Reasons? Coming soon.
---
April addition:

OK, it pains me to omit "My Mother's Castle" and "My Father's Glory" from my little "top films" list. These two fantastic French cinematic masterpieces belong in anyone's list .. near the top. OK so call it "top seven films"...

1 comment:

  1. June, 2012 ... and now "Moonrise Kingdom" by Wes Anderson needs to be added to my "top films" list. That's for sure.

    ReplyDelete